Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Sufjan Stevens, The Shins and The Kingdom

Finally used my Barnes&Noble gift card from Christmas today. Coming to me in a couple of days via UPS is a book mentioned by a follower blogger Bill Bean. It's a book published by Intervarsity called Kingdom Come. For the past year the subject of the Kingdom has wetted my appetite. I'm looking forward to reading this once I finish my Canannite Genocide book (no joke). I almost chose Jim Wallis' new release, God's Politics, but that will have to wait.

Along with my single book purchase are two CD's. Yes I don't have an iPod like all you Apple freaks out there, I'm still kicking it with my compact discs baby! One of album is the latest (2003) from a band called The Shins titled, Chutes Too Narrow. I first heard their music from the movie Garden State and have been intrigued by them ever since. The second album is Sufjan Stevens, a singer-songwritter who plans on putting 50 albums out that are all state related. His first was called Michigan which I haven't heard.

Here is a song from his Seven Swans album.
When he took the three disciples
to the mountainside to pray,
His coutenance was modified, his clothing was aflame.
Two men appeared: Moses and Elijah came,
they were at his side.
The prophecy, the legislation spoke of whenever he would die.

Then there came a word
of what he should accomplish on the day.
Then Peter spoke, to make of them a tabernacle place.
A cloud appeared in glory as an accolade.
They fell on the ground.
A voice arrived, the voice of God,
the face of God, covered in a cloud.

What he said to them,
the voice of God: the most beloved son.
Consider what he says to you, consider what's to come.
The prophecy was put to death,
was put to death, and so will the Son.
And keep your word, disguise the vision till the time has come.

Lost in the cloud, a voice. Have no fear! We draw near!
Lost in cloud, a sign. Son of man! Son of God!