Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Last Bulwark to Commerically-Christian Holidays

I'll be traveling to Texas to visit my family tomorrow and probably won't post any the rest of Holy Week. So I thought I'd leave an article about Good Friday that permeates feeling of celebrating the last "Christian" holiday without the romaniticized, consumeristic frenzy Americans have placed on holy days such as Christmas and Easter, as well as those saint days, Valentine and Patrick. In a sense, Good Friday represents "the last bulwark of genuine Christian spirituality against the pop religion that has invaded American churches for so long." Besides, who would want to read a Good Friday greeting card that states:

Because he bled and died,
We're all choked up inside.
It's not a lovely day, But I still hope you're okay.

Wishing you and yours a joyless, grave,
and yet oddly hopeful Good Friday.

Read here