Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Book Tag via Neil

1. How many books have I owned?
Not many. 100-200 maybe. Since I've been in grad school, my book count has risen greatly.

2. What was the last book you bought?
I purchased The Life of Pi for my Mom and The World is Flat for my Dad as birthday presents. For myself, I bought The Sacred Way a few weeks ago.

3. What was the last book you read?
Well...I'm currently reading 6 books at this time (4 for class, 2 for enjoyment) and several essays (for class). Authors ranging from Grenz, Cottrell, McLaren, Hicks, Jones, Hunter III, and Placher.

4. What are FIVE books that have meant a lot to you?
All of these are contextual and in no particular order:
The Mystery of God's Will by Charles Swindoll: Came into my hands at the right time.
Mere Discipleship by Lee Camp: Not only was this revolutionary, but so was his ecclesiology class last fall.
Selected Writings by Dorothy Day: this Catholic woman can write with conviction and artistry.
In the Name of Jesus by Henri Nouwen: given to me by my mentor Mike Stroud. Every page drips with humility and holiness.
McLaren's trilogy: the first unraveled my faith, the second made me ask myself if i wasn't a Christian if i believed this stuff, the last about corrupted me. Man I'm glad he wrote those.

Honorable mention: Foster's Celebration of Discipline, Willard's Divine Conspiracy, and Kimball's Emerging Church.

5. Tag five people who haven't played yet.
Daniel Greeson
Tony Peterson
Jason Isabell
Chris Benjamin
Gilbert Kerrigan (this will make you blog again, hopefully)