Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Random Thoughts

I had several topics I wanted to write about this morning, but I thought I'd cover them quickly since work is going to be crazy today.

Last night I became the husband of the century. Well maybe not, but I'll claim myself to be. Yes my friends I watched the movie that I have specifically avoided all my life since I knew girls did not posses coodies. And it was my decision to watch it. My wife even tried to convince me that I wouldn't like and I'd be bored. She even gave the option to play Tiger Woods golf on Xbox with me. Yet I knew that I wouldn't have lived until I saw every woman's classic cult film Steel Magnolias. And to be quite honest, it wasn't bad. I think it honestly portrayed Southern women at their best....and worst. Weezer cracked me up.

Lately I've been in the mood to listen to some John Prine. If you haven't heard any Prine, I'd suggest you give it a try. He is a veteran singer-songwriter who has had a steady career for almost 30 years. His song's are simple yet poetic and portray a sense of common Midwestern Americana. His new cd is called Fair and Square and is his first solo album in 10 years.

Thanks to everyone chiming in with their book recommendations. I'll definitely need a book when I go to the beach with my in-laws next month. As I finish my class, I found this book at work, Exclusion & Embrace by Miroslav Volf. I hope to hear him at the Emergent Theological Conversation in February at Yale. That is if I am able to beat 100 people at registering first.

Since our church prayed 2 weekends ago for the genocide happening in Darfur, I've had several conversations with people in our church about the situation over there. Glad to know people care and are socially aware.