Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Monday, August 22, 2005

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Vacation was incredible! Slept in, went fishing, read, played in the ocean, ate lots of seafood, napped. It was just what my wife and I needed.

Thanks to all that gave book recommendations several weeks ago. I will definitely keep those in mind for the future. Since I’m about to start another biblical class this semester, I wanted to take a break from books that make me think too much. Instead I dove into two books, both I’d recommend to you, but one much more over the other. The first was David Sedaris’ book Dress Your Family Up in Corduroy and Denim. Hilarious! I laughed out loud at his poignant storytelling of family life in the Sedaris household. Can’t wait to read his others.

The book that was amazing was a new novel called Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I’m not big on fiction, but Mr. Foer crafts such a tale that I’m rethinking reading more fictional literature, especially his first book. Be warned: this book is not light on subject matter. It had probably more weight than any theological book I’ve read in a long while. Foer deals with tragedy and the heaviness of living in a broken world, especially for a child who lost their dad in 9/11. I want to read it again, yet I don’t because I want to preserve the emotions and feelings that arose within me during my readings. So check it out.