Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

America

So last night, Jenn and I started our weekly menu for dinner. We sat down and came up with a meal for each night of the week. After that we went shopping for the right ingredients. Well last night we were going to have this Chicken Veggie-Casserole. I decided I was going to cook it while Jenn was going to write thank you notes for the wedding gifts. I just have to say, this casserole was going to be off the chain. I spent an hour chopping, slicing, cutting, cooking, and mixing. We finished preparing and placed it in the oven in one of those PYREX dishware containers. While we waited I started cleaning the dishes. About five minutes later we heard a loud sound coming from the oven. It was the PYREX. It had exploded and all our casserole was on the bottom of the oven. Needless to say, we were saddened. So we went to CrackerBarrel because we had a gift card there. The moral of this story is Proverbs 15:17

"Better is a dinner of vegetables where love is, than a fatted ox and hatred with it."

Well put Solomon.

It seems the Supreme Court ruled the "under God" to remain in the Pledge. But it couldn't rule if it was separating church and state because the man who was defending his 10 year old daughter was only his step-daughter, or something. Do you guys really care these days? I mean, yes our country was an escape land that people fled to to get away from the Catholic church (exaggeration of course), and yes many churches were established with the mentality of "well if I don't like your church, I can start my own" (a theme that is arising in our day as well). And yes I am glad that we are free nation, but we are hardly "one nation under God." More like "one nation under capitalism or materialism." Sorry to rant and rave about this but I'm just having a hard time with America and God that association. Especially when you go to church and they sing "America" or "God Bless America" or when they have the American flag in the building. Why are we so set on not having any symbols or signs that represent our faith because we are afraid of it being Orthodox or Catholic, but we can have symbols and signs that represent our corrupt and wealthy nation. Don't get me wrong, I love our troops and pray for them and our government, but I also am challenged to love the Iraq community and pray for them as well. And so who really is our enemy? Is it Bin-Laden's crew? Is it Congress? Is it the athletes who whine about not getting 20 million a year while children in Africa starve to death? Is it the American dream? Your thoughts?