Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Saved!

Please rent the movie Saved! I tell you this after my wife and I watched it last night. It is a hilarious depiction of "over-the-top" mainline Protestant Christianity. As the movie ended, I understood a little better at what it means to love like Jesus. While the Passion of the Christ movie convicted me of the death of Jesus, Saved! showed me the Kingdom of God at work. It witnessed how radical the love of God really is and how no one really completely fits in. For me this movie rather than the Passion told of how Jesus Again I'll try and not ruin it for you, but I must reemphasize that you should not look at how this movie makes fun of Christians. We should be able to laugh at how silly we can act from time to time and remind ourselves to not take ourselves so seriously.

I thought it was quite interesting to see that R.E.M. lead singer Michael Stipe co-produced/directed the movie. He comes from a long line of Baptist ministers, such as his grandfather, but performs in a "liberal" rock band who campaigned for the Kerry/Edwards party and has been long been rumored to be homosexual. I don't know what your personal opinion of Stipe is, or Mandy Moore (the lead actress) for that matter, but I would ask that when you do watch it, put aside your stereotypes and learn from this piece of art. Oh yeah, plus they cover (not great, but not bad) one of my all time favorite songs, "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys. So do yourself a favor and rent this movie sometime in the near future. You'll be glad you did, at least that's my hope.