Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Monday, February 07, 2005

Lent

Transfiguration Sunday was this past Sunday which leads us toward Lent, a 40 day journey beginning with the sorrowful Ash Wednesday and ending in triumph on Easter. Since working with a Methodist publishing house, I have learned many things in regards to the Christian calendar. Seeing as how I didn't participate in Lent or Holy Week or Pentacost growing up, I am willing to dive deep into other traditions and ancient practices to face my own humanity as well as experience God's holiness and transformative grace. For those who are beginners to the Lent season or wanting more explaination, click here.

My wife and I agreed to attend an Ash Wednesday service at the local St. Marks Methodist church. I'm still in prayer for what I need to abandon during this 40 day pilgramage. Each week I'll read from Stanley Hauerwas' Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words. This was recommended to me by my co-worker who is also reading this during Lent. It is a small book with 7 chapters, which works wonderfully during the 7 weeks of Lent. I say this not to stand before you as a model of piety or appear more spiritual than my audience, but as a longing to experience Easter in a more powerful way. I desire Easter to move beyond bright new clothes, anticipation of Spring weather and a lazy midafternoon nap after a large Sunday ham lunch. I want God to invade my space and bring me to my knees as I participate in history's greatest story ever told. O Lord, begin with me, with us. Here. Now.