Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Friday, May 13, 2005

I Heart Huckabees


Probably the most interesting and thought-provoking movie I have seen in a long time was I Heart Huckabees. My wife and I went on a date last night that included dinner at our favorite local Italian place and renting a movie. I had wanted to see this film since it came to the theater but didn't have a chance to watch it. The movie is an existential comedy that covers several philosophical ideas such as the meaning of life, the connectedness of all humanity, and identifying reality. Even though the picture leaves the audience with more questions than answers, David O. Russell co-wrote and directed an enjoyable film that makes the audience think, yet laugh at the same time. Metaphysics and philosophies swirl throughout the film like the delightful music of composer Jon Brion. At times the characters seem to echo Solomon's poetic cry in Ecclesiastes that life is meaningless, random, and hopeless. Suffering cannot be evaded in one's existence, so one has to enter their own egocentricism to elevate the pain. Other times the characters seek out is the interconnectedness of all matter, meaning everything has equal value, therefore "everything you could ever want or be you already have or are." From this idea their worldviews and identities are deconstructed to see all of life like fabric on a blank: connected. Overall, it was a humorous film that was extreme smart (or extremely dumb). I can't say whether or not you should see this film cause it won't be for everyone. And trust me, just cause I liked it doesn't make me smart in the least sense. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.