Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Self-Identity

I'm watching Good Morning America and they had a segment about girls getting breast augmentation for their high school graduation. The main debate was over self-esteem and that for women, their breast size is how they value themselves. Has our society been so foolish to think that our identity is on magazine covers and music videos? Actually...Yes. I can't think that if one gets surgery, is that an automatic self-esteem booster. I mean, isn't our esteem a lot deeper than our body parts? I must be honest, it is easy to get caught up in the idea of shaping my image to what is viewed as "in" or "popular." And we know that in every human is a need to be accepted. So as the great thinker Henri Nouwen questioned: "Could you live with only God's acceptance in this world? Is God's love enough to you?"

Detriot Pistons, well done.