Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The Abrahamic Call

Lesslie Newbrigin states that the greatest heresy in monotheism (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) is cherishing clause A ("I will make you a great nation, I will bless you") of the Abrahamic call while forgetting, suppressing, or ignoring clause B ("so that you will be a blessing"). It seems as though we who have been called by God who have decided to follow Jesus must live this out everyday. Yes we are blessed, but lets turn that blessing around and use it for good.

I was blessed by my Dad yesterday as we talked on the phone. He celebrated another birthday this past Sunday with his mom and wife. My Dad has blessed my life by showing his humanity to me. Last year we took a road trip up to Oregon and it was great. We shared about our beliefs, he gave me some wise advice about marriage, we laughed, we listened, it was one of the best experiences I think I'll ever have with my Dad. I hope and dream of more times that will come in the future. Thanks Dad for being a blessing, not just to me, but to your family, your friends and every person you have ever worked along side. Hooray for Dads!