Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Monday, August 02, 2004

Let the buildings serve

Last night, my wife and I along with our "newly married" small group helped build a fence for our church, Stones River. It was great to hold those power drills and feel the strengthen in my long fingers. After three hours of drilling, measuring, mowing, raking, and cleaning, we had a "professional" looking fence and yard. After we finished, John King (pastor) told us the future plans for the church building and the newly acquired house (next door) that now has a new fence. What was encouraging was his take of using the "future" church building for the community. He said, "How many churches sit throughout the week...empty?"

John is right. We can build some of the most 'state-of-the-art' technological and designer savvy church buildings. But is it just to accommodate those who are apart of the "Christian club?" And hear me out, I'm not just talking about weddings and potlucks. I'm speaking about using our buildings for a cause that extends beyond our belief system; using our space to serve the community whether those that use it belief the same as I might (again let's speak about different beliefs and not just different denominations). Our buildings should serve more like the Y rather than a medieval castle. In fact, I'm not sure I really like the hospital metaphor either (The "sick," "weak," and "hurt" come in seeking counsel and aid from the "wise," "strong," and "educated").

What would you choose to do with a church building in order to serve the community?