Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Friday, August 20, 2004

Blue Like Jazz

Yesterday I started another book (along with all my other class readings) called Blue Like Jazz. If you haven't heard of this book, its by a guy named Donald Miller who writes about spirituality in nonreligious sort of way. He is very witty as well as honest in his account of his own journey. Plus he likes the band Wilco. I appreciate it when authors reveal their brokenness, their true soul, if you will in their creations. By this I don't mean petty, "we all stuggle with sin" but the intimacy of doubt or fear or guilt, those deep emotions we all have but sometimes hide out of our fear of security. It seems more natural to me when I see it and hear it. This is what the beginning of the books states:

I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But one I saw a man playing the saxophone and I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never open his eyes. After that I liked Jazz music. Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way. I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this ever happened.