Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Monday, September 13, 2004

Dickson County Fair

Saturday night my wife and I went down to her parents house in Dickson, TN. I was supposed to hang out with my father-in-law but he had to work Saturday night so the night was spent with my wife. Where did we go? The Dickson County Fair! Oh yeah. The tenacious mullet seemed to still the prominent hairstyle and were supported with fine taste of the sleeveless fabrics and rebel flag designs. I wasn't too excited about going but I wanted to experience a demolition derby for the first time.

To my surprise, the derby was incredibly fun. Each heat had about 11 cars in a small dirt arena with concrete walls surrounding the outside so none of the fans would be hurt. Not only that, but firemen were on hand ready to douse a flaming car if one was to catch fire. If you have never experienced something like this, you are missing out. I was even yelling very loudly, "YEAH BABY!!" while pumping my fist in air. What fun! After we left, I wanted to drive into a muddy pit and do donuts all night in a junky Hurst all the while shifting the furry out of my 8 Ball stick-shift and singing some random George Jones song.