Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Reality Bites

For those of you who care, I didn't get the job in Arkansas that we interviewed with this past weekend. It came down to the big E...EXPERIENCE. All is well though because Jennifer and I felt like they needed someone that knew how to juggle the responsibilities better than I did.

Some of you know that my wife and I are ridiculously entertained by two reality TV shows each week. Those being Big Brother 5 and Amazing Race. Big Brother is really stupid but we still watch it every Tuesday. The Amazing Race is just awesome (go Chip & Kim!). Both of these shows include individuals who have a "strong" Christian faith. Now the shows ARE reality but ARE also produced, so many shots are cut out and commentaries made are edited for entertainment. So my comments are what I see on TV, which maybe different than real life. With that said, I have a beef with two of the "players" of each show for how they exploit their faith during the hour long show. On Big Brother, two twins are constantly saying that they have faith and that leads their lives. But they lie, are dishonest and come off as racist to the other players in the game. Sure its a game, but it reveals the type of person you are and the values one holds. On Amazing Race, these Christians are saying "I guess the Lord wants us in the game" after they find out that they're not eliminated during last nights game. Not only that but they refused to cut off their hair during a leg of the race because they are both models. Yes, the Lord wants you to be in a game of greed where you compete for a lot of money and keep your precious hair so you can continue to be vain and pretty.

Sorry to be so negative. I actually feel bad about writing this, but I wanted to get this off my chest today. I guess its easy to be critical when I'm not the one playing the game. Apologies.

Song in my head: Dig a Pony by the Beatles (album: Let It Be)
I dig a pony
Well you can celebrate anything you want
Well you can celebrate anything you want--
Ooh.
I do a road hog
Well you can penetrate any place you go
Yes you can penetrate any place you go
I told you, all I want is you.
Ev'rything has got to be just like you want it to
Because -

I pick a moondog
Well you can radiate ev'rything you are
Yes you can radiate ev'rything you are--
Ooh.
I roll a stoney
Well you can imitate ev'ryone you know
Yes you can imitate ev'ryone you know
I told you, all I want is you.
Ev'rthing has got to be just like you want it to
Because -

I feel the wind blow
Well you can indicate ev'rything you see
Yes you can indicate ev'rything you see--
Ooh.
I dug a pony
Well you can syndicate any boat you row
Yes you can syndicate any boat you row
I told you, all I want is you.
Ev'rything has got to be just like you want it to
Because -