Water Mosaic echoes from home

pondering the mysteries, simplicity, and humor of life

Sunday, June 27, 2004

A Prayer for Everyday

Here are some wise words from Agur. Pray them today, and everyday.

Two things I ask of you;
do not deny them to me before I die.
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that I need.

-Proverbs 30:7-8

I finished the book of Proverbs and realized how much Solomon talks about helping out the needy and poor. Isn't that worship too? We can feel great about a great devo and the singing, and the great preaching or teaching from a Sunday morning. But what are we doing to worship our Maker outside the church? Since working with Cokesbury, a United Methodist Publishing House, I can tell they are very sincere about serving the needy communities. And that my friends is a godly characteristic. So why aren't we doing it? "Well, Clark, we go on mission trips to help those under privileged." Thats great. But aren't we substituting the real people we serve for our own agenda? Aren't we using them to get our "spiritual highs and our "God-feelings" back? We don't say it like that, but its true. "They" are our spiritual projects to show us how fortunate we are and how blessed we are and how I will never be the same again when I go back home. 3 weeks later, back to the same lifestyle. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for overseas mission trips and short term "campaigns," but serving others, especially the poor must be a way of mind. Thoughts?